Monday, September 6, 2010

Fastest Growing Age Group on Facebook

Surprise! It probably isn't what you are thinking (teenagers). The fastest growing age group on Facebook these days is adults age 50 and older, at least according to a survey given by the Pew Research Center's Internet & American Life Project. Why the increase? As the article on Inc.com explains, older adults are looking to reconnect and keep in touch with family and friends.

This is not having a positive effect on the number of young people signing up for, or even staying with, Facebook. Recent studies have suggested young people are not overly comfortable with parents, grandparents, nosey Aunt Cindy, or potential employers having access to their social network. New websites such as CollegeOnly.com are being launched to cater to this group of privacy-craving young adults.

Where do I fall on the spectrum? As a 27 year old, I have to admit I haven't always been crazy about my family members or in-laws friending me on Facebook. While I value being able to keep in touch with them, I use the privacy controls available and make sure to not post anything I wouldn't want to see in the newspaper.

What about my fellow classmates out there? How do you feel about Facebook and the privacy it affords you?

No comments:

Post a Comment